DCML digest #1248

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 9 18:27:38 CET 2003

Hi!

Don Rosa:

Darndarndarndarndarn!
MY mistake this time: the nephew does not say (in PM's translations) that "Gyro has been an inventor
for 51 years", but that "he has been inventing for a living for 51 years"!
Not a nice translation, but at least I'm not creating any more confusion.
I thought the exact same thing as you did, that saying he had been an inventor for 51 years would
have been okay-- then I thoroughly mixed up my thoughts and my translation.
My apologies.

Sorry, another foolish blunder on my part. But I have a good excuse, your honor:
p 3 panel 3, Fulton is talking about Gyro and pointing at a portrait of  the inventor of  the
"clearitatin' pills", his father, Ratchet Gearloose.
Now, I'm so used to reading Fulton & Ratchet's names in your stories * in English *, that when I
read the caption under the portrait, "Grégoire Trouvetou", even though I recognized Ratchet in the
picture, I somehow associated the name with Gyro's-- certainly because of  the alliteration (Gyro /
Grégoire). Hence my comment.
Funny how the mind works and associates things, producing mistakes out things it clearly
identifies-- or rather, in the words of  one famous Science Officer: "Fascinating".
My apologies again.

Conclusion: Grégoire is Ratchet's name in this translation.
It's odd that they kept Fulton's name but changed Ratchet's.

Olivier