Birth of Ducks

Patinhas patinhas at net.sapo.pt
Sun Feb 16 22:05:31 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cord Wiljes" <cord at wiljes.de>
To: <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 7:15 PM
Subject: AW: Birth of Ducks

> Donald D. Markstein wrote:
>
> > Then how do you explain the fact that Gus Goose is Grandma
> > Duck's nephew? Or
> > the fact that Diamond Dick, the jewel thief who impersonated Scottie
> > McTerrier, a dogface, in "The Old Castle's Secret", is related to the
> > McDucks?
>
> Adopted? Cloned? Transmogrified?

I agree with that possibility. In fact, we have never seen the actual "child
making rituals" that they use.

Why is it less believable that they use some kind of  more or less
scientific "cloning" or "genetic engineering" process to produce offspring,
than to believe they all evolved at the same time from the current farm
animals (at the present in different evolutionary stages, moreover)? Why is
it not possible that the same process that created their ancestors initially
from the farm animals can be reproduced to create new individuals, as their
usual means of reproduction?

Also, I must complain against the view that "interspecies relationships" are
akin to bestiality or worse. We are concerned here with actions between
consenting intelligent adults (though the last part is somewhat debatable,
as we see on the thread relating to the ducks age). In that, romantic
relationships between them are no more "unnatural" than those presented in
lots of science-fiction books (starting with "The Lovers" by Philip Jose
Farmer)... The fact that their relation can not create directly new beings
is irrelevant even if true. Today in our reality lots of couples cannot have
children without external intervention, and that doesn't make their
relationship any less real.

    P.

.