Vegetable relatives/Catchy Tunes

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 17 23:13:59 CET 2003

So!!! I had forgotten that we are all descendents of green algae. And thus, we
are distant cousins of Kohlrabi, parsnips and rutabagas!  I wonder if I'm
closer to a Kohlrabi on my mother's or father's side of my family???

For Olivier: When Walt Kelly worked as an in-betweener at the Disney studios,
Carl Barks had already transferred to the Story Department.  They would have
had little, contact. But, I worked at Hanna Barbera, Turner Feature Animation
and Warner brothers Feature Animation, and saw that although most people had
friends for the most part in their departments, there were exceptions. They
certainly had access to most of the people in the Studio. So, it is POSSIBLE
that Barks heard Walt Kelly make up that name.  But, somehow, I doubt it.  I
think it is much more likely that Barks came up with that idea, as a parody of
that very common use of name and character rhyming that was omnipresent in the
1920s,1930s and 1940s (like "Slewfoot Sue from Kalamazoo"-I made that one up
now. It was probably said by someone, exactly as is, in that area -thought of
independently. Kelly could well have come up with the same idea independently,
just as two Rappers might come up with the same rhyme, as some words are more
suited to rhyming with others.  As far as I remember, Barks came up with almost
all of his references on his own. I asked him (in th 1960s) if any of his songs
and book titles, character names came from real sources, and he told me that as
far as he remembered, he made them up. He said that he was making fun of those
things that were popular at the time (although I think that once in a while his
parodies better fit things that were popular years before-or a few, even from
times during his youth). He was a bit old fashioned, even though his humour
also kept up with the times (funny in any era).

Rob
Klein