Relations between Ducks

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Tue Feb 18 13:03:47 CET 2003

	Hey Mickey!

>> - Mickey lives in the same universe as Donald
>
>... isn't possible? Have Barks ever written a story with both characters?
>Sorry for my ignorance...

	In Barks' story from WDC&S 83 (1947), Donald is being pestered by
door-to-door salesmen and wants to be able to ignore them. He fixes his
doorbell so he won't be able to hear it ring. Then he sadly realizes that
this method of keeping away salesmen will keep his friends away, too; the
next person who comes to the door might be "Daisy, or- or Mickey, or
somebody I know!"
	We don't see Mickey, but Donald has mentioned him.
	One could theorize, of course, that this Mickey isn't Mickey Mouse,
but seriously, Barks in 1947 just wouldn't have made a casual reference to
Donald having an acquaintance named "Mickey" were it not Mickey Mouse.

	Barks does show a game show host asking Donald a trivia question
about Mickey's social security number in WDC&S 99 (1948), but Barks didn't
write all of this story, so it doesn't count. (In truth, the lettering of
the name "Mickey Mouse" here doesn't look like Barks' lettering, anyway, so
I suspect it was changed by his editors to begin with from some now-unknown
original.)

	David