Second half of Norway

Anders Christian Siveb¾k anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Tue Feb 18 21:24:58 CET 2003

Hi all
Gosh my digests rolled of the screen - and I didn't have time to write the
second half of my report untill now. Here comes.

Later that sunday i got to look at something interesting Sigvald had made
on the PC - It shows were both interested in flags and Sigvald had
actually thought out flags of Brutopia, it's navy, army and so on - we kep
on experimenting with this during some days, and hopefully it will make a
page.

I forgot in the alst mail that we saw an old norwegian classic called
Tante Pose the evening before - it was really funny "even though" it was
black and white and from the 40'es. I certainly have to put those signs
around even though... - my opinion is that some of the best movies are
black and white - examples are Citizen Kane and "It's a wonderful life".
This evening we did see Star wars 2 though - also a good movie - during
the watching of these movies we enjoyed ourselves with toast, snacks and
softdrinks.

The day after I made an interview with Sigvald about Gyro's first
invention. - This was for the danish fanzine Rappet, published by our
danish donaldist society.

I also started reading the articles and forewords Sigvald has - an article
about Diving, and all the prefaces for the norwegian reprints of the old
Donald Duck & Co. -
These are different than the danish ones, where the stories have the main
role. - In the norwegian book one or another donaldist tell about his
relationship to the ducks when he grew up and now. About things you can
relate to the ducks, periods, the beginning and such things. And you read
right - i didn't find one single female preface-writer in the books...

I was also reading some fanatasy-books on the tour, but that's another of
my interest - it's not that relevant here. -
We went shopping and had dinner and then we drove to Randeberg - The
evening before I had phoned my friends there, who are the scandinavian
kind of square dancers. - We had a nice talk with them about many things.
- Two years ago i lived at their house when I spend one day with Sigvald.

The next day we saw Pearl Harbour - a movie with a love story that
disturbed my heart a bit, to put it that way. Earlier that day we had
visited Stavanger Museum's offices - said hello to many of the people
Sigvald knows there - we saw their collection of National Geographic
Magazines and went to the museum library, which for some reason reminded
me of several duck stories. We also went to the city library where Sigvald
borrowed the original edition of Donaldismen, by Jon Gisle, one of the
founders of the norwegian branch of the science.

Most importantly we went to Løvås, a second-hand comic shop in Stavanger,
where I found issues enough of norwegian weeklies with Rosa to say now
that I only miss 3 issues to have a complete norwegian Rosa-collection...
I also found doubles for Mads, as the norwegian extras are often with
articles and have other stories than we.
Eg. I enjoyed finding the Scarpa-story about Amundsens amulet - this
pinguin - because it's realted to Norway. More importantly I found the
stack of Uncle Scrooge comics I also saw the first time I was there. -
issue 210 to 270 of Uncle Scrooge, complete. Including nice issues of Son
of the sun and Cash Flow. (Well home I sorted out the doubles I now have
for swapping)

Well home we had a good dinner with meatballs and spaghetti. We watched TV
and Sigvald uncle and aunt called and invited us for dinner on thursday.

The next day (I've lost track of weekdays) we went for a long walk to some
of the places Sigvald has went to school and other things. We saw the
first school he went to (children school), the second school (7th to 9th
grade), The camp where Sigvald served in the norwegian marine (named after
the first norwegian king)
And we passed a reconstruction of old iron age-houses - a very interesting
thing for both of us - as you know Sigvald is historian and i'm
historically interested.

I'm not sure when we watched Armageddon and Disney's christmas, because I
haven't written it in my diary... But Armageddon was a good
catastropy-movie and Disney's christmas was funny - but syncronized, which
i didn't appreciate verily...

The next day again i continued my reading, now of both
Gladstone-letter-columns and prefaces. We shopped and drove to some places
- Sigvald's high school - and a bit sad place - namely the grave yard
where Sigvald's mother is lying - She past away in february 1991. - I
study religion at the teacher's college so it was relevant for me to see
this grave yard and the wooden church. Later we listened to a lot of good
music. Then we drove to Sigvald aunt and uncle Abigail and Wilhelm. I
almost thought I had seen Wilhelm before as he is the brother of the Karl
Johan who brought and fetched Sigvald in Copenhagen when we there in the
end of last year. We had a nice talk - Wilhelm has been teacher, principal
and headmaster so we talked a bit about schools and such. We also had a
talk about the norwegian children's book author Thorbjørn Egner.
For dinner we had schrimps which we pealed ourselves - a norwegian
tradition, and very delicious if you ask me :-)

Home at Sigvald we saw X-files and talked about coming publications such
as the afore-mentioned fanzine and our Rosa-indexes.

The next day was time for leaving. I had packed my things so we drove to
the city to look for a cheese-cutter (ostehøvel) for my father. We
preprared things and found things we had to bring with us, as we were
going to visit our fellow friend (even a relative to Sigvald) Geir J.
Netland - So we left a bit after 4 pm and got to the house where he lives
in the basement. We had a nice evening with dinner, quizzes, talking about
ducks, Rosa, Barks - browsing through his collection - We even made a fair
deal - I got some doubles from geir and thus i payed for his membership in
the danish donaldist society. We left Geir at half past 12, for Egersund
where the ferry home leaves from. I experineced having to walk onboard the
ferry, via the cardeck, as the company seems to be renovating quite many
things. I said bye to Sigvald, thanks for a great week and see you!
The trip home was fine - but I really shouldn't had payed for a bed in a
cabin - i only slept for 3½ hours (waked up when my blanket fell on the
floor...) - but I did have a bath there.

The ferry wasn't in route as the norwegians put it - we didn't reach the
harbour untill 50 minuters later than planned - but my mother was there
and when we came home I started sorting my magazines.

See you all
Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist