DCML digest, Vol 1 #1264 - 13 msgs

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Feb 19 14:03:44 CET 2003

Timo:

> And WHY postal officers dictated the insides of comic magazines (any
> requirements for other types of mags?)?? And how they were able even
> to do it?
> How this effected to other comic books? I know Barks had to made
> changes to some of his stories.

The post office issues and regulates second class mailing permits,
which enables magazine publishers to get the cheapest available postage
rates for mailing out subscription copies. Over the decades, the post
office has come up with (and suspended) various rules governing the
ability to get and use such permits. I can't say why this authority was
allowed to extend to dictating the precise nature of the contents of
certain magazines, but that allowance has been long-standing, and
includes the requirement by publishers to print the periodic - and to
readers, often mystifying - "Statement of Ownership" in each magazine
they send out by second class mail.

(To be honest, the post office changes its regulations so often that
"Statements of Ownership" may no longer be required, but they were
during the Gladstone days.)

Gary