AW: color of sun

Cord Wiljes cord.wiljes at biblioforum.de
Wed Feb 19 23:34:30 CET 2003

Don Rosa:
>>>...And the sun should be yellow. I've always wondered, even
when I was a kid, why people think the sun is yellow. I think it's only
because when we're lil' kids with crayons we don't want to leave the sun
white in our drawings.

Theresa Wiegert:
>> Actually, the sun *is* yellow! It's classified as a G-star
(spectraltype), depending on its temperature and chemical
composition. A warmer star would be blue, and a colder red.

So if we make a spectral analysis of the sun it emits a little more
electromagnetic radiation of wavelengths corresponding to yellow
than of the other wavelengths. Is this visible with human eyes?
Probably only from far away, let's say from Alpha Centauri.

In any case the sun is not as yellow as crayons - or comic book yellow.
Could it be that it looks more yellow near sunset, before it gets orange,
then red and ultimately night falls? This would probably be due to diffraction
of the sun's light in earth's atmosphere.

Another example: Water in small amounts (let's say in a bucket) is not
nearly as blue as it is depicted in comic books. Water looks blue only if
you have lots of it (like in an ocean).

What I have always wondered is why Chinese (or Asian people
in general) are depicted as yellow. In reality their skin color
is not a little bit yellow. It is exactly like the skin color
of Europeans.

Cord