Yellowish skin

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 20 20:28:44 CET 2003

Warning: This message is "for the most part" off topic. I thought it might be
of interest to the several members who have already commented on it. Please let
me know if this long-winded "dissertation" is something I should NOT send to
this list.  Then, I won't do it again.

As our Gladstone/Gemstone friends have stated, the yellowish skin convention
for "orientals" in comics was just "taken over" from "Western societal cliches"
and beliefs.

Actually, the entire range of hues from very dark brown (appearing "blue
black"0 to extremely pallid (almost white) runs through the populations of Asia
AND Europe.  That is because the peoples of both continents are very mixed with
traits from different breeding populations.  There is no such thing as a
defined "race". In addition, outer (visible)features such as skin colour have
less to do with the particular breeding group than most of the traits peole
cannot discern easily.  The skin colours of different breeding groups were
formed when those groups were still breeding under the effects of natural
selection (e.g. the amount of melanin in their skin was affecting their
abilities to survive until breeding age). For most of the so-called "oriental"
populations, natural selection (certainly as related to melanin) does not
operate. Therefore, these populations carry the skin colours from their
latitudinal locations on the Earth where they last spent 25,000 - 50,000 years
under natural selection, as well as the specific meterological (cloud
cover/sunlight)conditions of that area. In general (for Asia, which lies mostly
in the Northern Hemisphere), if they lived further north during their last
period under melanin-related natural selection, they would have lighter skin,
and darker skin as the groups were further south, towards the Equator. But,
most of those groups experienced interbreeding from other groups.

Currently, DNA scientists, who have sampled blood of thousands of test
populations around the Globe, believe that all humans originated from a small
group of people in east Africa, which lived around 130,000 years ago. Their
first migration out of Africa, across the Red Sea Narrows to Yemen and up into
Arabia as far as Syria, survived until about 100,000 years ago.  They died out
due to increasing aridity of the Middle East. A new wave of migrations started
the same direction. One group populated Arabia and The levant again, but moved
nor further, for a long period. The great mass moved slowly eastward along the
shores of The Indian Ocean; around The persian Gulf, the coast of India, Burma,
Thailand, Indochina, and from there, split into two main groups. By the time
they had lived in south east Asia's dense tropical jungles, some of the smaller
groups' skin colours probably began to vary, based on local exposure to
sunlight.  One group followed the coast of Viet Nam northwards into South
China, while the other followed the land bridge into Indonesia (most of whose
islands were joined together because the ice age had locked up more of the
Earth's water in glaciers). They moved from there to Papua (New Guinea), and
finally to Australia. The Australians and Melanesians today have very dark
skin, "Negroid" features and kinky hair, because they have had less
interbreeding with other population groups (specifically those who had already
lived farther north and had moved south again). They retain more of the
original traits they carried from east-central Africa, while also having stayed
in relatively similar sunlight conditions.

The group that moved into South China eventually spread further north and also
west, populating much of North China, Korea, Tibet, Mongolia, Siberia and some
of Central Asia. Their hair became wavy, to even straight, adapting to the less
tropical conditions.  Their skin colours became lighter, depending upon amount
of direct sunlight and its angle. In the meantime, the group that was in the
Middle East also sent off migrations into Persia and Central Asia.  These
groups would later mix with the Central Asians who came by way of China.  This
is why the "Turkic" linguistic groups differ so greatly from the Sino-
Mongolian. Many Siberian tribes were Turkic (Tataric) and others mongolian.
Another group leaving the Middle East apparantly lived farther north at an
earlier period (when melanin natural selection was still operating). They first
lived around the Black Sea and Northwest Persia and western Central Asia. This
group later migrated into Europe around 30,000 years ago, but before that, had
already occupied some of Russia and even into the northern areas and towards
Scandinavia.  The Finns, "original Bulgars", Magyars and some Siberian tribes
probably come from that group, as well as the early main Peninsular Europeans.

Their were various hues of skin colour and variations of lightness and darkness
in the skin related to sunlight exposure during their melanin natural selection
period (probably BEFORE they ended up in Europe). From 20,000 years ago, and
much more frequently from 10,000 years ago on, the different population
breeding groups intermixed, so we got lots of variation of traits.

My own father's father was a "European". He was Dutch, but we can trace his
family ancestry back to Eastern Hungary (Carpathian Mountains). He had a round
face. his skin was light, but did have a slightly yellowish tint.  I KNOW that
he did not suffer from jaundice! He had almond shaped eyes. His body type was
short and stocky. My father and I are both tall and thin.  We both have red
hair and very light skin with many freckles. I wouldn't say that my grandfather
looked Mongolian, but I wouldn't say that he didn't have some "Turkic"
features. Many of the people from that area display those features (there are
also a lot of pallid-skinned redheads).
I believe the turkic/Asian-like characteristics were left by the many
intrusians of Asian invaders to that area (Huns, Avars, Patzinaks, Mongols,
Cumans, etc.). Even when they didn't "Marry"  into the sedintary society, they
raped the women, who ended up raising their children as "civilised" members of
the sedentary population.  I also have a few cousins with almond eyes, roundish
faces and slight yellowish tints to their skin.

I would guess that there IS something to the old belief that the Mongolian
populations have at least a bit of yellowish tones to their skin colour,on the
whole. The Turkic groups have less, and what they do have may have come from
interbreeding with Mongolian groups. The original migration of the group that
moved north first into South China and later spread over east and central Asia
must have experienced conditions during their skin colour natural selection
period, that required an adaptation which resulted in a slight yellowish tone.
Of course, as the group split up and moved to various other climates, the trait
was modified, or weeded out. Japan, for example, has a significant percentage
of the population with very light skin; but also a significant portion with
medium darkness, and yellowish tint, and a group (more from the south) with
darker skin (but still a slight yellowish tint).  It is believed that japan had
three major immigrations in prehistoric times.  One, from Central Asia to
northern East Asia (Siberia/Manchuria) -who included today's Ainu
(caucasoid/Turkic), a second from East Asia/Korea/North China,-Mongoloid; and a
third from Indonesia/Malaysia/Philippines/Taiwan/Okinawa- Malay peoples. The
latter two groups coming both from the original group that split off from Viet
Nam into South China. Both of those groups likely have contributed the slight
yellowish tint.

The "American Indians" carried the mixed traits of the Siberians (Turkic from
the Middle East to Central Asia route and Mongolian from Viet Nam to China to
Siberia) across the land bridge to North and South America starting 30,000
years ago. The peoples of that first migration down in southern South America
have some traits shared wouth Australian aborigines (from the splitting about
40,000 years ago, of one group into Indonesia/Papua/Australia, and the other to
north Viet Nam, up the coast of China, through Manchuria and Siberia to
Beringia). The DNA scientists found "Negroid" features in some human skeletons
from patagonia from 10,000 years ago.  A second migration were the peoples who
later became the Athabaskan linguistic group, and a third migration formed the
other major Amerind linguistic group.  A last migration of the last 4,000
years, was the Inuit (Eskimo) peoples. The latter share more features with the
present day Mongolian groups, as they split off much more recently.  The other
groups had long periods still under natural selection, to adapt to their new
enviornments, and thus, change characteristics.  Although the Native American
populations display the entire range of skin colours, most of them include a
slight yellowish tint.

Perhaps it is "normal" for human skin to have some yellowish tint, and what we
are observing in the "oriental cliche" is that many Europeans have such light
skin that it does not show a yellowish tint.  What was seen to be "normal" for
them, was pallid white.  Everything else must be "foreign".

When the Africans have a lighter tint to their skin, the yellowish tint is
visible, such as with the Pigmy groups, Bushmen and Hottentot. Groups that are
mixed with "Caucasoids", as in the Horn of Africa, (Eritreans, Ethiopians,
lighter Somalis, some Eastern Saharan tribes) seem to me to show a bit of
yellowish tint.

I hope we have a scientist among us that knows the answer to the question
of "yellowish" skin. If so, the short answer can go to the DCML, as several
people are interested.  A long answer probably should be sent as personal mail
to those interested?

Rob
Klein