US Comics?!?

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Sat Jan 4 17:53:18 CET 2003

>  Some of you in "The Old World" may have heard more news about the
> imminent release of the Gemstone line. I heard June, but you never
> know with these folks. Does anyone know what the format will be?
> Mickey title, yes no? Will they produce their own stories or simply
> purchase Egmont stuff. What about Rosa? Reprints of the his latest
> stories are planned I hope. And what about those great  Barks Library
> books? Anyone who can provide some info will get Karma points (not
> redeemable for cash, I'm afraid). Anyway, hope everyone has a bright
> and glorious year. Remember to wear shades. Over and out...Dan
> Rosenberg,CA

The answers to some of your questions are mentioned on Gemstone's
homepage (www.gemstonepub.com):

       >The comic books will include classic series such as /Uncle
      Scrooge Adventures/, /Donald Duck Adventures/ and /Walt Disney
      Comics and Stories/. Gemstone Publishing will introduce two
      monthly comics starting in the Summer and will follow-up with two
      additional monthlies later in the year.

 > The new series of comic books will contain the recognized work of
Disney artists William Van Horn, Don Rosa, Daan Jippes, Daniel Branca,
Noel Van Horn, Patrick Block, Shelly Block and the legendary Carl Barks,
as well as others.

They are obviously intending to publish four series, but only give the
name for three of them, meaning that the fourth yet-to-be-announced
series might be a Mickey title. The page tells that they will be
publishing Mickey stories, and some of the comic creators mentioned on
the page mostly make Mickey stories, but this could also mean that they
only intend to publish Mickey stories in WDC&S.

They tell that they *will* publish Rosa stories, but they don't reveal
if they're only planning to reprint old stories or if they also intend
to publish newer stories; however, I find it unlikely that they would
*not* publish his most recent stories.

Stefan