Heymans

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Jan 27 17:40:12 CET 2003

Simo:

> And even more, some certain factors are making Mau Heymans' stories
> different from each others by their drawing-style:
>
> At first numerous of different people have inked his stories. (Peter
> Colle, Jaap Stavenuiter, Bas Heymans, Frans Leenheer, the Comicup
> studios and of course Mau Heymans himself)

I think this is a minor difference. For all inkers, Mau always has had the
supervision of the end product. And he sometimes corrects details in other
people's inking.

> I do think Mau Heymans' drawing-style has
> developed during the years.

Sure.

> I'm truly disappointed the level of
> artwork by his most recent stories. No more unsymmetrical panels (for
> many years actually)

One reason for that could be the editors: they demand that artwork is made
*without* text balloons!
The text balloons are added by computer (with disasterous results,
sometimes!).
I can imagine that the computer software can only add text balloons if the
panel borders are exactly horizontal and vertical.
This is one example where computerisation is *not* an improvement.

> but so much less efforts to draw characters
> vigorously. He's art has become somekind routine work.

In the more recent years, Mau is less interested doing the drawings when he
didn't (co-)write the story. And even when he does: he now also writes
stories that are drawn by others!

> http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/heymans.html

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that difference before.

--Harry.