trade paperbacks and digests

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Fri Jan 31 04:28:10 CET 2003

Dean:

> I am a little concerned about what was not mentioned though.  One,
> there was no mention of trade paperbacks....  Two, and more
> serious to my way of thinking, there was no mention of selling some
> sort
> of "digest" format comic in the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc. of the
> country.  Perhaps Gary could tell us if there has been any snag in such
> negotiations with these big retailers?

No snags, but many details. It has always been Gemstone's intention to
get the details sorted out and nailed down before making any definitive
statements about what will be produced for these markets, and when they
will be produced. What John had to say was about the projects that have
a firm schedule at this juncture.

Keep in mind that just a few short months ago it wasn't even possible
to say that Gemstone was even going to do the Disney comics. Now two
prestige monthlies and two newsstand monthlies will be coming out, all
up and running by the end of summer. And those details are being pulled
together to get us out there in the trade paperback arena. After four
years of nothing, I think that's pretty fair progress.

Gary