Walt Kelly

SRoweCanoe@aol.com SRoweCanoe at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 16:33:32 CEST 2003

In a message dated 7/13/2003 10:16:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ddmarkstein at cox.net writes:

> Once again, you are putting words into other people's mouths. It is the
> general public in America, and not the DISNEY-READING general public, that
> knows the work of Walt Kelly. I will also wager that he is better known to
> the general public in Europe, than Barks is to the general public in
> America. ALL OVER THE WORLD, Walt Kelly is respected by those who know
> comics, and his name is at least recognized by many who don't.

Frankly, that is a safe wager   (or  even a suckers bet)

         Walt  Kelly was a celebrity cartoonist in the 1950s-1960s,  where
his books were best sellers (not his comic books , but his books) -- If i hadnt
loaned out my book on bestsellers - i would check and see if they actually
made the New York Times bestsellers list as my memory indicates.,..
       He is regularly quoted  in the newspapers even today
(and is in Barlett's book of quotations, which is the standard refrence book
on famous sayings)
       For someone to state that kelly is little known just shows extreme
lack of  comics knowledge.

steven rowe