Gladstone's luck

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Mon Jun 2 19:52:51 CEST 2003

Kristian:
> I was also intrigued by Cord's angle on the case.
> (Energy and entropy). Continuing that line of thought
> I suppose Gladstone would be the ultimate code breaker
> - he would be able to break any security system merely
> by guessing the secret key. Good thing that he is not
> a computer hacker...

Indeed - that is also shown in a Disney comic. Annoyingly enough, I can't
remember what story it was or who wrote it, and it seems like most of the
dear old Onkel Skrue booklets I read in the early nineties are not indexed
in INDUCKS - but it was an Italian story, published in Norway somewhere
between 1991 and 1993.

In that story, Scrooge tried to access a strange, magic hand that followed
all of his commands. But this hand was protected by an ancient order, and a
code system. You had to press the correct number code on a keyboard, and if
you pressed the wrong code, lots of mechanical hands would slap you. Scrooge
tried several times, but it was hopeless - until he called Gladstone. Well,
Gladstone got the hand on his first attempt, and got a little fortune
selling it to Scrooge.

Note: This hand was stolen, and Scrooge had to get ANOTHER one to challenge
it - and again, he sent Gladstone out - with Donald - to get it. This time
Gladstone pressed the wrong code. And again, and again, and again... While
DONALD tried his phone number, which worked. Bad luck? Nah - that hand
destroyed the entire Money Bin, so Donald had to rebuild it while Gladstone
could go on a vacation...

I would guess that in most cases where we think "what if Donald or Scrooge
or Gladstone would do that" - they have probably already done it.

Best,
Olaf the Blue