Barks' echo story / Mini Barks quiz - one solution and two remaining quotes

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jun 3 16:31:52 CEST 2003

MONSIEUR OLAF SOLSTRAND to me, 01-06-2003:

[Barks' paid echo's story (WDC 105)]
> Otherwise, I naturally agree with you - HD&L giving out echoes
> for free makes no sense at all. Could there be a time-rate solution?
> "Put a dime in the box, and the echo will answer you for the next
> thirty seconds" or something? Otherwise, one COULD might as well say
> that "Moo! Squawk! Grind! Whonk!" is FOUR different echoes!

I've counted the sounds that were repeated by an echo. Every sound after
the echo, was counted as a new one. Mostly the sounds and their echo's
were made within a panel each. Exception is the Siberian Grufflecrow in
panel 5.8. It makes its sound in panel 5.5. The echo comes in panel 5.6.
But when Donald walks away in panel 5.8, the bird makes an extra sound
that is echoed immediately. I've not counted this extra sound, because
it's clearly just a tail of the first sound in panel 5.5. Donald clearly
doesn't pay attention to this extra sound or its echo, so it's clearly
not an echo that he asked for.

> But, what dazzled ME when reading this story, was: Where was the
> REAL echo?

Interesting question!

Maybe Donald isn't much of a "famous authority on echoes", as he is named
in panel 9.1? This could mean that he expects to find echoes in the wrong
places. I'm curious for other opinions. And also if this lack of real
echoes could be counted as a flaw in the story.

However, I'm sure that the Donaldists will find out an explanation,
anyway. :-)

> Olaf the Blue

Some digests ago, you wrote to me that your nickname has a connection with
Monty Python. I don't recognize it. I don't know much details about scenes
in Monty Python, thhough I once did see a scene in which John Cleese was
acting like Scrooge McDuck, in an office with a trapdoor in the floor. I'm
told that this sketch is called "Merchant Banker" (4th episode of their 3rd
television series, broadcasted from October 19, 1972 to January 18, 1973).
For more information, see my terribly incomplete Barks site,
page "http://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicsus020.html#us0022-02",
under "Research".

DAVID GERSTEIN to me, 01-06-2003:

> Okay, the Barks quotes. Isn't the one about whaling the blazes from
> WDC&S #64, where the nephews have been exploiting Donald's New
> Year's resolution?

Yes, that's the right story.

> Can't place the flea remark, though I can think of a similar one
> about goats.

Do you mean a similar Barks quote, with goats instead of fleas?

Now, only two Barks quotes are left:

- - -

"Well, back into the barrel with the FLEAS!"
(Hint: "Gaaah! There's a year's crop of SOOT in that pipe!")

- - -

"Ouch! More automation!"
(Hints: "Handle with care" / "A-a MERMAID - Awk!")

- - -

--- Daniel