sloppy Egmontians: let the heads roll (I)

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Wed Jun 4 01:25:02 CEST 2003

Mads Jensen informs us:

<<Just turned the Rosa calendar into June, I read the note
saying this: "In 1966 Carl Barks retired. Still, he made
several Woody Woodpecker stories, and as late as in the 90's
he came up with a brand new $crooge story." >>

Is this the Danish parallel to our Norwegian Rosa calendar?
In our version there is no such note? And no particular
note on Barks as such either -- it has a moderately long
text by Rosa pertaining to the art chosen for June.

Anyway, it's a Big Scandal that an editor or editorial
assistant makes such a mistake, confusing Woody Woodpecker
with the Junior Woodchucks. This is Basic Barksology 101
for anyone working with Egmont, *particularly* when they
produce a Donald-based calendar!

I pointed out some weeks ago that they were not able
to spell "onsdag" (Wednesday) correctly, in a poster-size
calendar, whose point & main purpose is to inform the
local humans about the days of the week. But this is worse.
This is like confusing Ard Schenk with Kees Verkerk
when producing a calendar for speedskating fans.
Or mixing up Ringo Starr with Pete Best when writing
the history of the Rolling Stones. Or Carl Philip
Emmanuel with Wilhelm Friedemann when making a documentary
on P.D.Q. Bach.

Shame; shocking; tsk tsk; public exposure; laughing stocks;
write their parents; let the heads roll.

Nils Lid Hjort

... who after fuming over the kalendars can't resist giving
this as language quiz du jour (or, rather, de nuit): which is
the single word in proper Latin starting with the letter "k"?