Barks defined Scrooge's relationship to Donald & Gladstone

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Thu Jun 5 02:54:39 CEST 2003

I thought everyone knew Barks defined the relationships
of Donald, Scrooge, and Gladstone in his 1949 story,
"Race to the South Seas",  March of Comics, #41,
Reprinted by Gladstone comics in Donald Duck Adventures
Album #14:
       Page 1, panel 3,   Donald brags to Gladstone,
"My uncle on my mother's side is Scrooge McDuck,  the
richest man in the world!"
      In the next panel, Gladstone replies,
"Scrooge McDuck is MY mother's brother's
brother-in-law, and I'm going to get a BIG cut of his
forture, too!"
        So just a year or 2 after creating Gladstone and Scrooge,
Barks defined this relationship.   Don Rosa's family tree is
completely compatible with these 2 definitions by Barks;
Rosa did not originate the concept of Scrooge's sister being
Donald's mother.
                            Best wishes,
                                                    Larry Giver.