Uncle Scrooge's name in Chinese

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Thu Jun 5 03:24:54 CEST 2003

Larry Giver:
>    I have some familiarity with these Chinese terms for family
relationsihips, as my whife is Chinese.   "Ge Ge" and "Di Di" mean
older brother and younger brother, not sister.  My wife and I have
3 daughters and one son; The oldest daughter was "Jeh Jeh" for
older sister, and the second, 2 years younger, was "Mei Mei" for
younger sister.  Then my son was 7 years later, "Di Di" to both
his sisters.  When the youngest daughter was born, she became
"Shau Mei Mei", for small younger sister.

Of course you are absolutely correct.  Not that this is a valid excuse, but
I only had a brief chance yesterday to use the computer, and I switched the
words for Older/Younger Brother for the intended words for Older/Younger
Sister.  Ge Ge/Di Di are indeed Older/Younger Brother and Jie Jie/Mei Mei
are the words for Older/Younger Sister, and Mickey does indeed call
Felicity "Jie Jie" (not "Ge Ge").  I realized it as soon as I got home last
night and was frustrated that I couldn't do anything until I got into work
this morning.  Sorry about the confusion in gender.

As to grandparents and uncles, on the earlier listing, I showed that they
call Grandma Duck "Nai Nai" which means she is considered Donald's
"Father's mother."  Scrooge is called "Shu Shu" meaning he is Donald's
"Father's *younger* Brother" or at least on the "father's" side of the
family somewhere.

-Rich Bellacera