Non-Disney indexing [Some friendly questions to Harry Fluks]

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Thu Jun 5 13:13:21 CEST 2003

timo ronkainen wrote:

>> I would like to see non-Disney stories by Gil Turner, Al Hubbard,
>> Dick Kinney, Bill Walsh, Marco Rota, Romano Scarpa, Daan Jippes and
>> Freddy Milton indexed, too.
>
> Me too! But I think it's hardly something that should be done within
> Inducks. Carl Barks can be seen as exception, because of his
> importance.

Everyone, I was being ironic.

No offense, but I think it's a lousy idea to index non-Disney stories in
INDUCKS, just because those particular stories were made by Carl Barks.
As another poster pointed out: Why not Don Rosa? And why not creators
such as Gil Turner and the others mentioned above? I *would* like to
know more about the non-Disney works of a lot of people -- including
Barks -- but integrating this kind of info into INDUCKS means it's no
longer a semi-scientific database about the Disney works of various
creators. Instead, it's on its way to become a collection of facts about
people the inducksers happen to like. (In my opinion, of course. And
again: No offense.)

And no, Barks shouldn't be treated as an exception. Trying to make Barks
the center of the Duck universe from whom everything good and true --
even to this day -- comes, means that we're essentially encapsulating
the Ducks into a 1942-1961 time pocket. Already, I've seen people claim
a certain story *can't* be true, because it contains a PC, and we all
know Barks never used those in his stories. No room for changes, no room
for improvements, no room for innovation. Sorry, but if that
"Barks=Truth" thinking becomes the rule, children will be totally unable
to relate to Duck comics in less than fifty years -- and that'll mean
the death of the Ducks! (Again: In my opinion.)

Barks was a great creator, but making special rules for him is a bad
idea. And, from what I've heard, I'm not sure he would've approved
either.

Why not simply include a link to a Carl Barks fan page instead and then
let that person index the non-Disney stuff?

Lars