Duck Literature Adaptations

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 6 01:26:07 CEST 2003

Regarding Mads Jensen's query over "Duck" versions of books and other
literature:

I remember an US/DD 3 part Egmont story published in the early 1990s, which is
an adapted version of "Most Dangerous Game", which was an early 1930s USA
feature film, which was, in turn, based on a novel.  Also, Rosa's story ("King
Scrooge the First"?), based on the British early 1950s film "Passport to
Pimlico", was also (I believe)loosly based on a novel with a similar plot.  I
think there are MANY, MANY more adaptations of novels, short stories, epic
poems and filmscripts. I can't seem to remember any others offhand, but I seem
to remember seeing some Italian versions, some other Egmont stories, a few
French stories, and some US stories drawn by Jaime Diaz studio using Goofy and
Mickey?  (The latter are, of course, not "Duck stories"-but I think are of
interest to this question). I'll be curious to see what our members from the
various Disney publishing countries add to answer this question. As a writer
myself, I don't really regard such borrowing as "plagerism" or less creative.
It is really having a love for great literature, and having an uncontrollable
urge to see one's favourite comic funny animal characters play leading roles in
those stories (to see what wonderful and funny things occur).  The author often
doesn't know what will happen at first.  He/she is as interested to see what
enfolds from the effort, as are his/her fan/readers. Barks wanted to see Donald
pperform Shakespeare. He wanted to see Scrooge discover Shangri-la "Lost
Horizens", etc. Gottfredson wanted to see Mickey experience the "Adventures of
Robin Hood".

Rob
Klein