ancient 'funny animal' comics in Egypt

Arthur de Wolf arthur at wolfstad.com
Sun Jun 15 00:11:47 CEST 2003

Hi,

I was in Egypt earlier this year and visiting one temple after the other I
couldn't help but notice how much many of the ancient Egyptian wall carvings
looked like comic book stories. There were many walls full of stories where
people are talking to eachother in panels and the dialogues in hieroglyphs
were carved in between the people. All that was missing were the text
baloons.

The fact that many of the gods in these carvings had animal heads also made
it look a bit like Disney comics. Check out the picture of this man with the
head of a baboon that I took in the Temple of Edfu:
http://www.wolfstad.com/dcw/baboon.jpg

Kind regards,

Arthur de Wolf
http://www.wolfstad.com/dcw