DCML Digest Issue 34

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Jun 26 15:27:59 CEST 2003

> From: Anthvvuono at aol.com
> Subject: RE: DCML Digest Issue 30
>        On a similar note, will Matilda make additional appearances
> (hopefully) at Duck/McDuck family functions, birthdays,
> anniversaries, etc. now that
> Scrooge and her become reconciled.

I guess I would not hesitate to put her into any "Duck/McDuck family
functions, birthdays, anniversaries" that might appear in one of my stories,
but I don't do stories with those sorts of "domestic tranquility" scenes
very often. Besides, I see her as staying in her home in Scotland, not
moving to Duckburg.

> Will they keep in touch after this story?

I guess so, but "off screen".

> don't answer the questions if they spoil parts of the "Letter from Home."

Oops... I guess I've given away the ending in that $crooge doesn't kill her.

> From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: Don Rosa Ducks & (Film) Music
> I've been wanting to ask you this question since I received one
> of  FSM's latest score (about two weeks ago)s: Miklos Rozsa's
> "Green Fire"-- a gorgeous, dazzling adventure score.

Yes, I got that new one, too! This is certainly the golden age of movie
soundtrack music! Small collector-oriented companies are producing *loads*
of archivist-style CDs of great film scores of the 1930's-60's! I can't keep
up with it all! I have stacks sitting on the floor waiting to be listened
at!

> I'm pretty sure there are other such instances when you (and
> fellow members of  the list) thought of  / listened to  a
> specific score while you were writing, drawing, or reading a duck
> story. Could you tell us about such associations, please?

Well, I useta' listen to film music while drawing, but for many years now I
have either listened to recorded books or MP3's of old radio shows. But
speaking of a cross-over with music, the radio series I'm listening to now
is a combination of Orson Welles' 1938-45 MERCURY THEATER ON THE AIR and THE
CAMPBELL PLAYHOUSE (pretty much the same show) which is a weekly anthology
series featuring the very same director, producer, writers, and actors as
those who made CITIZEN KANE... but also the same composer, everyone's
favorite, Bernard Herrmann (who also did THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR you
mention, among *many* others)... and each of these radio dramas features
*original* Herrmann music written just for that single show and never heard
again!

From: lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Subject: Gemstone @ Last, #3.
>>>But then I heard the store expected Gemstone to ship them 2 copies,
but only one arrived.  Is Gemstone shipping very limited quantities to comic
book stores
so there will be lots of reports of being "SOLD OUT!?"

This is a repeat of the same comic shoppe boneheadedness that kept Gladstone
only marginally successful. That store owner only *ordered* two issues,
meaning he was only trying to satisfy the wishes of the two customers who
*asked* for the comic, never intending to put any copies on the racks to
display for other potential buyers. Can you imagine a book store that only
sold books under-the-counter to people with the inside-knowledge of the
publishing industry who could request the book prior to publication... and
then were expected to buy it sight-unseen when it arrived?! The average
American never even sees comic books since they are sold almost exclusively
in a few lil' comic shoppes in each town, but with the attitude the shoppes
have to anything that's not a violent superhero, even the customers at these
comic shoppes will *still* not know Disney comics are back since the
storeowners won't purchase copies other than one or two to sell to those few
aged fans who knew to ask. "Who else would want these things? They're DISNEY
comics! Nobody reads those!"
Anyway, don't blame Gemstone for this situation... Gemstone will sell any
store as *many* copies as they order!