Madame Mim (comment to ancient discussion)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Jun 27 06:59:08 CEST 2003

FRANCOIS WILLOT to GILLES MAURICE, 05-03-2003:

> Moby [Duck] represents Kay Wright's & Gil-Bao's style to me. He
> is like Madame Mim. A no-character, a ghost, a zombie, a nobody.
> I'm surprised you like him so much... He disappeared long before
> I bought my first comics, and you are younger than me.

I don't know Moby, but IMO there are some great stories with Madame Mim.

A recent creator who IMO writes remarkable Mim-stories, is Frank Jonker.
Some of his Mim-stories are inspired by a (partly erased) Dutch 1970s
children television series titled "Kunt u mij de weg naar Hamelen
vertellen, mijnheer?" This series had a typical, magical atmosphere.

Here are two Mim-stories which I like very much:

Vader Tijd (H 99130, 4 pages)
Written by Frank Jonker, art by José Ramon Bernadó.
This story is about visiting Father Time. Father Time is not at home
and Mim screws up his workroom by turning the time back and forth.
A zany joke that really got me laughing out loud for minutes, was the
special, difficult, magic abracadabra used by Father Time, in order to
restore Mim's mess. In fact, these words are directly taken from the
opening tune of a Dutch television soap titled "Goede Tijden Slechte
Tijden" ("Good Times Bad Times"). It's hard to explain what got me
laughing. I just found it hilarious to see Father Time standing in an
all-mighty pose, with a big magic wand, suddenly reciting the lyrics
of a dull soap tune.

Geest in de put (H 22120, 2 pages)
Written by Frank Jonker and Paul Hoogma, art by José Ramon Bernadó.
This story may be hard to translate. Mim has to cheer up a ghost on
the bottom of a well. This is one of the best gag-stories I've ever
read. The story is about (lame) jokes, with a great overall effect.
In Dutch, being on the bottom of a well (being "in de put") means
being unhappy/depressed. In this story, the saying is visualized with
a grumpy wishing well. If you manage to cheer up this grumphy wishing
well, it grants you a wish. (Mim wants to be the most beautiful witch
of the Witch Ball, so that's why she consults the wishing well.)

I think Bernadó has a great feeling for the Mim-stories. Even though I
cannot really explain the two stories I just mentioned, the artwork
alone will already be very convincing.

--- Daniël