1st US Donald Duck comic book

Tom Peaco tpeaco at exploremaine.com
Sun Jun 29 14:45:15 CEST 2003

Didier Ghez wrote in DCML Digest Vo 4, Issue 38:
> Also : could you remind me when was the first Donald Duck comic book
> published in the US ? Does anybody have a scan of its cover ?

According to the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:
"DONALD DUCK (Walt Disney's) (10 cents)
"Whitman/K.K. Publications 1938 (6-1/2x11-1/2", B&W, cardboard-c)
"(Has D. Duck with bubble pipe on-c)
"nn-The first Donald Duck & Walt Disney comic book; 1936 & 1937 Sunday
strip-r (in B&W); same format as the Feature Books; 1st strips with Huey,
Dewey & Louie from 10/17/37"

Also in Overstreet:
"DONALD DUCK
"Whitman Publishing Co./Grosset & Dunlap/K.K.: 1935, 1936 (All pages on
heavy linen-like finish cover stock in color; 1st book devoted to Donald
Duck; see Advs. of Mickey Mouse for 1st app.) (9-1/2x13")
"978(1935) - 16 pgs.; illustrated text story book
"nn(1936)-36pgs. plus hard cover & dust jacket.  Story completely rewritten
with B&W illos added.  Mickey appears and his nephews are named Morty &
Monty"

Since the 1935 & 1936 publications are illustrated text story books, I
believe the 1938 bubble-pipe cover is the first Donald Duck comic book.
Maybe someone else knows of an earlier one?

I don't think this comic is in I.N.D.U.C.K.S. (at least I couldn't find it).
I've got a copy of this comic book and would be happy to index it for
I.N.D.U.C.K.S. but I've got questions on how to identify the reprinted
stories to the date (and more importantly the story codes) of the original
Sunday comic strips.  Also I need to know how to handle the "modification"
of the stories (as many panels were clearly added to, and possibly had
dialog added).  Maybe Harry can help me?

tom