Middle names in Duckburg

Michael Schartau Michael.Schartau at swipnet.se
Mon Mar 10 12:02:39 CET 2003

On second thoughts

1. There is no nead for a middle name. Lots of people (and ducks) don't have
middle names. There were even an US president ho didn´t have a middle name.
I think he used N for middle initial (N=nothing).

2. As I recall it Mc, Mac and O´ means "the son of". Here in Scandinavia the
most common familynames is based on a first name + son/sen
(Andersson/Andersen is the son of Anders). I have an ancestor with the name
of  Mads Jensen (as seen on this list). His son was Jens Madsen.
I don´t know when these nametraditions in Scotland and Ireland changed but
here in Sweden it was during the 19th centyry. My conclusion is: McDuck must
mean the son of Duck and O´Drake mean the son of Drake, which makes Duck and
Drake not only familynames but also first names. If D stands for Duck,
Drake, Douglas or just D for

/Michael