Pocket Books, Serial Format, and Mickey Stories

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Mar 12 22:46:25 CET 2003

Dane Martin wrote:

> > *) I don't remember "Panicking Pachyderm" but based on the
> > description it sounds like one of those not-so-good Mickey stories.
> >

> Right. In fact, when I read it, I thought, "you have to be joking." I
> think Mickey is such a black-and-white (literally!), one-dimensional
> character that it's difficult to make proper story-lines that make an
> amusing story.

In my opinion: Nope. Mickey Mouse is a great, great character - when
written the right way. Courageous, adventurous, compassionate, witty,
but very flawed and human. Knows he should really grow up, but his
impulsiveness works against it; he loves every minute whenever the
opportunity for excitement comes along.

> Floyd
> Gottfredson succeeded with Mickey, but he's really the only Mickey
> comic-artist that I've ever really appreciated.

Maybe you haven't seen any of the Mickey stories Egmont currently is
producing for the weekly over here. Great stuff, basically founded on
Floyd Gottfredson's work, with an emotional Mickey just like his. My
advice to you is to buy as many Gemstone comics as you can, in the hope
that some of these stories will be used.

Lars