Carl Barks 100th anniversary book in the US?

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Mar 13 17:33:54 CET 2003

Hi all!

Due to the lack of Disney Comics in USA in the period from 1999 to 2003,
there was never made any US publication as a memoriam to Carl Barks after
his death on August 25th 2000, nor was there made any US publication to
celebrate the great master's 100th birthday on March 27th 2001. This means
that Gemstone still have reasons for doing a special Barks-publication in a
not to distant future. I don't know if such an idea already exists within
Gemstones planes, but I would still like to tell you about an idea that I
have recently got.

I think a good way to honour Barks would be by publishing a huge high
quality book, like "Carl Barks Beste" which was published in the
Scandinavian countries in 2001 to celebrate Barks' 100th birthday that year.
But instead of a mix of short and long stories I would prefer long stories
only, one story to represent each month in a year - a total of 12 stories.
My suggestion of contents in such a book would be:

January – "Luck of the North" (1949)
-----------------------------------
This story takes place among a lot of snow and ice – a snowy classic for
January.

February – "The Golden Helmet" (1952)
-----------------------------------
This story is an absolute DD-classic and it takes place in the cold
North-Atlantic – fits well for February.

March – Lost in the Andes (1949)
-----------------------------------
This story is one of the greatest Barks ever did, and the absolute favourite
for many Scandinavians. Just like "The Golden Helmet" this story also starts
at the Duckburg Museum. This story has often been published around, or in
connection with the Easter holiday in Scandinavia.

April – The old castle's secret (1948)
-----------------------------------
A great story in where Barks introduces Scrooge's Scottish heritage.

May – Back to the Klondyke (1953)
-----------------------------------
Another great story in where Barks introduces Scrooge's history in Klondike
and Glittering Goldie.

June - Tralla-La (1954)
-----------------------------------
An important story in where Barks shows that the fortune not always making
Scrooge happy.

July - Old California (1951)
-----------------------------------
July is time for a nice summer holiday and travelling a bit around. "Old
California" is a great story about Donald and his nephews on a Holliday.

August - The gilded Man (1952)
-----------------------------------
A great story in where Barks shows the rivalry between Donald and Gladstone,
and in where the name of the state Calisota is mentioned by the first time.

September - The fabulous Philosopher's stone (1955)
-----------------------------------
A great story in where Scrooge and his nephews find one of the greatest, and
most important treasures they've ever found.

October – The seven cities of Cibola (1954)
Another great story in where Scrooge and his nephews are searching for
another of the greatest treasures in history, this time in competition with
the Beagle Boys.

November - Land beneath the Ground (1956)
Terry Fermy (the land beneath the ground) is IMO one of the most spectacular
places Scrooge and his nephews have ever visited.

December - A Christmas for Shacktown (1951)