I want to see an Uncle Scrooge by Charles Vess

Wolfsong wolfsong at mpinet.net
Fri Mar 14 02:09:17 CET 2003

In one of my many trips to Dragon*Con (a Sci-fi convention in Atlanta,
Georgia) I was fortunate to attend a slide presentation given by the
brilliant comic / fantasy artist Charles Vess.  (If you're unfamiliar
with his work please allow me to direct you to his website
www.greenmanpress.com)
The show consisted mostly artists that influenced him over the years
such as  Maxfield Parrish as well as samples of Vess's own work.
Vess has worked on many famous comic characters, including Spider-Man,
the Sandman and characters from Jeff Smith's Bone.  During the Q & A
after, one more of his influences became apparent, Carl Barks.  Someone
asked Charles what character would he like to work on that he hadn't.
 He said "I'd like to do an Uncle Scrooge."
    Ever since then I've tried to imagine what Charles Vess could do
with McDuck and crew, and I continue to be intrigued by the idea.  I
don't know how soon Gemstone plans to start commissioning new stories,
but now that Disney comics will be resurfacing statewide I figure it's
not too soon to start making requests.
    So I'm putting this out in hopes that some of you will become as
intrigued as I am with the idea, and join me in helping get Gemstone
interested in the idea.

If we're successful with that, then, you know that aforementioned Jeff
Smith guy could probably do a good duck story too .... (www.boneville.com)