Barks' successors

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Wed Mar 19 09:21:12 CET 2003

Gary Leach wrote:

<Objectively, Carl Barks has more successors than you can shake a stick at.
Everyone who has ever done Disney ducks for comic books follows in his
footsteps - he literally devised the creative milieu in which each of them
has toiled. To pinpoint one creator as his successor is to drastically
diminish the sheer grandeur of the inheritance he left, and from which so
many have taken their portion - and, in some cases, produced triumphs of
their own.>

And new pages are being added every day. Let us just enjoy this enormous
body of work, and let duck fans everywhere feel free to decide which
stories they want to include in THEIR private duck universes.

As for myself: When I read a Barks story, I visit Duckburg. I know the rest
of the city is there, outside the panel borders. Just up the road from
Donald's house is Gyro's workshop. The money bin is downtown, a couple of
miles away. Daisy's house is over on the other side of town.

Some of the newer stories by Vicar give me the same feeling, so I include
them in my universe. He draws Duckburg almost exactly the way Barks did.
The same applies to a few of the Dutch artists.

However, I NEVER get the 'right' Duckburg feeling from a Rosa story. The
art and tone of the stories are too different.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy Don's stories, I do! 'A matter of
some gravity' is the second funniest comic book story I have ever read. And
although it may sound like a paradox, I included 'The Life of $crooge' in
my universe. Somehow, Don's old-fashioned drawing style with shading and
lots of details seems right for this 'historical document'.

Nils from Norway