DCML Digest Issue 1304

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Mar 19 15:00:06 CET 2003

> From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
> No offense taken-- as much as it may surprise you Gilles: it
> seemed clear to me in Sigvald's message that he was *referring*
> to the point of   view of  *some* people only, and not directly
> attacking anyone.
> One thing however really bothered me: the syllogism leading to
> "My guess is thus that Don Rosa for the time being, would prefer
> to Work for Gemstone before Picsou"-- a ridiculous assumption
> (whether you actually made that assumption or not, Sigvald, the
> fact is, it read like you did).
> There was no need to reply-- only Mr Rosa was entitled to reply.
> I didn't want to broach this way off-topic subject, but I felt
> like I had to reply to Gilles' & Sigvald's replies.

The above is the first correct reaction I've seen to Sigvald's latest faux
pas. But it seems to compel me to reply by making my silence obvious. Okay.
I wanted to stay OUT of this. I have asked Sigvald in private messages to
*please stop* making his outrageous
assumptions-that-something-indicates-something-else. He is one of my biggest
fans, and I get rather embarrassed! I was flabbergasted that he would seem
to be implying, which someone might infer was based on private knowledge,
that I had the absurd feeling for the French or for the editor of PICSOU
that he described. But as outta-line as I thought he was, I saw nothing in
his message to offend anyone but MOI. I thought it was quite obvious that he
was referring to, not agreeing with, the attitude that many or perhaps most
Americans have towards France right now... and brother, don't fool yourself,
they *really do*... and even Sigvald had nothing to do with it. Blame
politicians on both sides. But I was gonna just ignore the comment -- I
think I've done all I can to try to dissuade Sigvald from making these
drastic assumptions or to constantly insult other writers and artists who
don't make their stories *exactly* like I do, or the fans who like variety
and are not single-minded. But we're gonna just hafta get used to him. He is
a very sweet guy in person, but just too big a fan... he is "socially
challenged" in learning how to address a group of people. I like him because
I've met him and corresponded with him for years.... but if I only knew the
Sigvald that writes messages to this ML, I think I'd be ready to block out
his messages myself. It's like a different person.
As regards Gemstone and PICSOU, I just had a long message from the editor of
PICSOU about an hour ago, discussing his plans to have me do a new series of
"pin-ups" and other projects. Again, *regardless of Sigvald's assumption*,
Pascal Pierrey is a huge Duckfan (and Rosa fan, if I may be allowed, just to
contradict the assumption) and he has never left his position as editor of
PICSOU. But a few years back he was given the extra duty of editing LE
JOURNAL DE MICKEY as well, an increase in workload of about 500%, so he'd
had no time to give certain matters close attention for those years. But now
he's back to editing *only* PICSOU and we might get the show back on the
road.
As for Gemstone, I'll do covers for them when they need them (though they
already have all the Euro covers I've done for all the stories of mine
they're using), but I actually see *no reason* to do new stories for
Gemstone. Why penalize them like that? They need every cent they can hold
onto to make this new enterprise the success we all want it to be, so why
would they pay me thousands of dollars to create a new story when I can
create that same story for Egmont or PICSOU and Gemstone would then get it
for FREE, perhaps even already *colored*!

> From: "Fabio Blanco" <longtom at oeste.com.ar>
> Subject: SIGVALD
> Sigh... Sigvald... I have an idea for you... you would have a
> website named Sigvald's apology, there you can say all that about
> later you sorry...

That much is pretty funny. But then...

> I hope you are enjoying the remake of the blitzkrieg on Polland by CNN...

Okay, hold it! Is this a joke? Are you trying to top Sigvald?
I am not in favor of this whole mess into which the world has been pushed by
that sub-grade moron who shouldn't even BE our president, as well as by
wrong-headed European attitudes. However, to compare it to the Nazi
blitzkrieg on Poland is crossing into even more outrageously idiotic
comments. Obviously, NONE OF THIS is proper material for discussion in this
ML!!! Please just DROP IT!!!