Van Horn's DuckTales Stories and Launchpad's Character

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 21:32:12 CET 2003

In a message dated 3/19/2003 1:25:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JALustig at aol.com writes:

> And as for your comments about Bill's old DuckTales stories, Bill wrote most
> of them. But I wrote a few of them. So, on behalf of both Bill and myself,
> thanks for the compliments. Glad you enjoyed them.

My absolute favorite VanHorn DuckTales story would have to be "Windfall on
Mt. G'zoontight," and looking back at that issue, you seem to have written
it. I especially like Launchpad's dialogue and general character in that
story--he's just characterized nicely. I think the studio stories also
featured in Gladstone's "DuckTales" book characterized Launchpad as a very
flat, boring character, and so did some of the "DuckTales" TV episodes. (Most
notably in the second season.)

I mean, I can HEAR Launchpad saying, "Oh, my achin' socks!" But I just can't
hear him saying--from the Studio story in the same issue--"Because through
the years two of Star Island's points--really low beaches--became covered
with water! They're now only visible from the air!"

Good stuff.
--
Thanks for reading this nonsense,

Dane Martin