International Politics

Dan Rosenberg dortmunder at mad.scientist.com
Fri Mar 21 01:16:59 CET 2003

Cord wrote:

Re: Dear all:
Re:
Re: It is very difficult to talk about the war in Iraq rationally. There
Re: seem to be mainly three groups: "Pro war", "anti war" and "no comment".
Re: Communication between these three groups is nearly impossible because
Re: everybody is so emotional about it. I think this war is a topic of grave
Re: importance which everybody who wants to should talk about, even if it is
Re: off topic here on DCML.
Re:
Re: Please let me suggest one thing: Try to put yourself into the shoes of
Re: the other side: How would you feel if you were a citizen of Baghdad? An
Re: U.S. soldier in the desert of Kuwait? The man with the most power and
Re: thus heaviest responsibility in the world? If a family member of yours
Re: had been a victim of 9-11? Or had starved because a multinational
Re: company maximized its profits by exploiting your country's resources?
Re:
Re: People with other opinions are neither evil nor stupid, they just come
Re: to different conclusions. Nobody knows the future so nobody can claim to
Re: know with absolute certainty what the right path of action is. So even
Re: if one has a firm opinion on the current war in Iraq (and I certainly
Re: do) we should aspire keeping an open mind for discussions with those who
Re: don't share the same view.

Hear hear! The internet exists for people to exchange ideas. If we begin telling eachother this or that is not an "appropriate" forum, we've given up our power to communicate freely with one another. Please, I have nothing against this topic being discussed here, in fact I would encourage it. There far more important things happening right now than ducks and mice. And I would also like to ask people like Mr. Doukakis to please refrain from hurling despicable insults towards people who don't agree with him. It's fine if your opinions differ from some of those on this list, but let's keep this mature and civilised. Just because our leaders are being irrational doesn't mean we have to. In fact, just the opposite, we need to be wiser and more tolerant than they have been.