AW: AW: International Politics

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Fri Mar 21 10:26:05 CET 2003

I wrote:
>> Free speech does not mean that I can talk anywhere at any
>> time about any topic I want. There also is the matter of
>> politeness and consideration.

Dan Rosenberg replied:
> One is either free to speak or one isn't. Free speech means
> precisely that I can talk anywhere, anytime about any topic I want.

Immanuel Kant said: "Individual freedom ends where it encroaches on the
freedom and the rights of fellow citizens." So freedom also means to
accept the responsibility. Which you do:

> Some of you may feel differently and that is perfectly ok.

I could not agree more. I believe the discussion got a little out of
hand yesterday. Everybody is so emotional about this issue that we tend
to use harsh language and at the same time are overly sensitive towards
the tone in statements from others.

> It's funny that nobody criticises advertisers
> when they cram their messages down our throats without asking
> us (as I write this even, I'm forced to look at obnoxious
> blinking banners),

Should theere be regulations to ban tasteless, sexist and insulting
advertisements, in your opnion? Here in Germany we have.

> I'm deeply ashamed of my country and my government today.

In contrast to the old continent the U.S. still have their youthful
enthusiasm, which sometimes leads them to big mistakes but also enables
them to learn at a high speed. This time the whole world has to learn
with them. And this might probably also be a good result from the war:
The whole earth has to find peaceful ways of cooperation - very fast.

Cord

P.S.: If anybody wants to continue the discussion in private mail please
feel free to mail me.