William Van Horn--More Than A "Barks-Wannabe"

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Thu May 1 22:34:31 CEST 2003

In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:04:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
raptus at stofanet.dk writes:

> Erm...in fact I am amazed that you put Murry amongst a list
> which includes a midrange Barks-wannabe like (William) van Horn, who for
> (to me) unknown reasons holds a big star at Egmont's.

"Barks-wannabe?"

Uh... I don't think so. Not in my eyes, anyway. I see Van Horn's style as
much different than Barks', relying on off-the-wall comedy, and effective
page layouts. Even Van Horn's LETTERING is a significant part of his work,
with lots of sound effects and whatnot. I also like his many sayings that he
gives the Duck characters, which rival such classic Barks sayings as, "ye
cats and little kittens!"

I definitely wouldn't call Van Horn a "Barks-wannabe." But that's just me.
--
Thanks for reading this nonsense,

Dane Martin