Gemstone's "Donald Duck Adventures" Free Comic Book Comments

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Sat May 3 21:14:32 CEST 2003

I picked up Gemstone's "Donald Duck Adventures" free giveaway book for Free
Comic Book Day today, and I'm definitely impressed. The color is among the
best I've seen in a Disney comic, proving that color has definitely come
along way since the 1990 Gladstone reprint of the same story--"Maharajah
Donald."

I seem to remember reading somewhere that this story was censored, but I've
yet to see any changes, so I don't think it's too blatant. I'd have to look
harder, which I haven't bothered to do yet.

I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a big splash-page explanation of
Carl Barks, to introduce to new readers. Gemstone doesn't seem to be as
appreciative as the older works as Gladstone was, but I'm not asking them to
be--I like the idea of a focus on newer, European material. Still, there
could have been some kind of Carl Barks explanation, for those new readers
picking up their Free Comic Book.

Overall, I'd say this book is worth the $5 Gemstone is requesting to receive
a copy directly. After all, I'm sure it will be hard to find...

--
Dane Martin

"Surrealism in th' service of sanity is no sin."
--Griffy, "Zippy the Pinhead"