SV: Re: Re: AW: RE: Gemstone/Gladstone

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu May 8 01:32:47 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com> wrote:

>> Sigvald:
>> Correct! But that was in an early fase.
>
> Donald was 13 years old at the time. You call
> that early?

I have to clearify this:

1) The Donald Duck character had been in use for 13 years in 1947. Being
born arond 1920 Donald was around 27 years in 1947.

2) I still think that the 1940s represent an early stage in the development
of the Duckburg universe as we know it today.

>> 1) They did exist in Barks' Duck Family Tree
>>
> A personal note as that was, yes. They never
> occured in a story.

Well as stated in an other posting, Scrooge being Donald's uncle without
being married implicates that he had to have at least one sibling. The
difference between Donald's and Scrooge's last names implicates that that
sibling would have to be a sister of Scrooge and thus the mother of Donald.
Pure logic - Barks didn't need to state that anywhere!

>> Yes, but unlike Don Rosa he did that in
>> contradiction to Barks.
>
> a) Rumpus does not contradict anything Carl
> Barks ever did.

He does at least contardict Barks's Duck Family Tree.

> b) Don Rosa also made new relations outside
> what Barks did - e.g. he created Clinton Coot,
> an action that linked Cornelius Coot to the
> Duck family.

Well, Barks never gave another explanation for that.

> And even though it's not published - this whole
> story about Huey, Dewey and Louie's father
> being Daisy's brother. I guess that is a theory
> you support,

yes, I do!

> so let me ask you: You don't find THAT
> contradicting?

No. AFAIK Barks left the background of HD&Ls father open.

Sigvald :-)