Ducks and eggs again

Theresa Wiegert theresaw at oso.chalmers.se
Thu May 8 09:35:45 CEST 2003

Sigvald and Cord:
>> - Lifelong monogamy is very rare
> As with many mammals like dogs, cats, etc...

Not so very rare, is it? Most parrots for instance mate for life (most
often, except for a funny meat eating parrot from New Zealand, the Kea).
Besides, I don't see the ducks as non-monogamous - how many halfsiblings
have we met? Both Donald and $crooge  have stuck to their loves, and
haven't changed. ok, so Donald has been dating some others, but not for
long, and Daisy is always the default date.

> 1.) Birds don't have hands!

Donald's hands were more winglike in the beginning, but turned into hands
later on... To put it the other way around then: Humans don't have beaks!
birds at least have hand features in the skeleton, but a beak is a lot
more different feature...

> 2.) Most birds can actually fly!

Not tame ducks (?). Not tame geese, that I know! Penguins, chicken, Kiwi,
Dodo (extinct), ostrich, among others don't.

Duckburgian ducks have cars, so it seems they've given up flying (which
would be a riddle to me - I'd love to be able to fly), or they are
among those who don't because they don't have to...

> Anyway the Ducks in Duckburgs act like humans, not like ducks.

yep! But I still argue that they hatch... (it's not
so unlike mammals - still eggs, just that they have harder shells. The
difference between mammals and egg-animals is the way they feed the
young ones, btw)

/Theresa
     _
    / )   Theresa Wiegert                    theresaw at oso.chalmers.se
   / /    Onsala Space Observatory  		work +46(0)31-7725522
  //"     SE-439 92 Onsala, Sweden  		  mobile: 070-4831211
 /	  www.oso.chalmers.se/~theresaw		     home: 031-811364