eggs or wombs?

Lunnan & Hjort brit.lunnan at chello.no
Fri May 9 01:56:51 CEST 2003

This is of course a recurring theme, and deserves to remain one.
That the Ducks exist at all, that they have been born, that the
Spirit of Life has been blown into them in their two-dimensional
universe by caring creators, sufficient to make us wish to live with
them or at least visit them, is clearly the Magnum Mysterium et
Admirabile Sacramentum here, for which the current (and recurrent)
discussion is yet another proof.
   "Beatus Barkso, cuius cerebellum meruerunt
   portare Donaldum Duckum, Alleluia!"
(this should preferably be sung 4-part to the music of Poulenc, though
alternatives might be discussed).

Regarding the technical discussion itself, which I consider to be of only
mild interest, I wish to point out another easy Barksian reference of
some relevance: The (quite artistic) sign given by the Pygmy Indians
(Uncle Scrooge #18, 1957, pages 6-7) consisting of an arrow pointing
to ... an egg (freshly laid, as Donald discovers). According to the JW's
Guide Book, this Indian sign means "go back where you came from!".

I suppose the Peeweegahs procreate more or less in the human
fashion, but they clearly suspect of their unwelcome duck visitors
that they, the Ducks, come from eggs. We detect no sense of surprise
either in the JW's matter-of-fact explanation or in the straight-faced
reactions of the Ducks here (well, they were admittedly stressed & frightened),
no ironic throw-back along the lines of "hah! they should've let the arrow
point to an _uterus_!", and neither do Donald or Scrooge utter phrases
like "why didn't they instead use a rendition of _Ciconia Ciconia_, also known
as `the stork'?" We must infer from this that at the very least, the Ducks
are very accustomed to be considered as Egg Reproduction People,
by outsiders.

I might have redesigned my sentences here in appropriate Kalevalean
runometric rhythms to better convey my opinion, but the egg defence
rests its case.

Nils Lid Hjort