Facts vs opinions

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Fri May 9 02:01:52 CEST 2003

> Recently Cord Wiljes wrote:
> > And since we already have a DELLa Duck I also
> > propose:... Egmont McDuck: Scrooges twin,
> > hatched from the same egg...
>
> Here Mr. Wiljes IMO presents a certain point of view (the view of Marco
Rota
> and others) as a *fact*, not as a *theory* nor as a personal
> *interpretation* or an *opinion*. Even so, nobody here has criticized Mr.
> Wiljes for this way of arguing, while my name has been mentioned several
> times during the following debate - as if some people have more right to
be
> "categorical" in their arguing than others.

Not trying to treat people different here - but...
in my opinion, this was not presented as a fact. I think of "hatched from
the same egg" as an expression that could be used even on people. Besides,
this was barely mentioned and is obviously not what Cord wanted to express
in this message. Nothing was stated here - it was all a proposal. And the
whole egg-thing was meant to be an addition to the twin-sentence.Yes, it
looks like Cord thinks Scrooge was hatched from an egg. So what? In YOUR
case, you said straight out "No, it's not like that."...

olaf