SV: Ducks and eggs again

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Fri May 9 03:39:41 CEST 2003

Sigvald replied:
>> *AFAIK both comics and cartoons seem to agree
>> that the Ducks are HATCHED from eggs.*
> No, it that was absolutely true this debate wouldn't
> take place here. In Don Rosa's "The Sign of the Triple
> Distelfink" there is a clear indication of Grandma Duck
> giving a "mamal-birth" to Gladstone's mother.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "No, it that
was absolutely true this debate wouldn't take place here."
Perhaps you mean my reference to cartoons as a source?
In anycase I stand by the comment.  Concerning Grandma's
"mammal-birth", I recall reading that story, but again I
must apologize for not having access to it at the present.
Still, when you say such, do you mean she is show "pregnant"
or that Rosa actually shows her giving live-birth to a
Duck?  If it is just a matter of just showing her pregnant
I don't see where that contradicts any indication that she
could very easily be bearing an fertilized egg complete
with egg-shell rather than a simply a fetus in a watersack.
Thus she would, in essence, give birth to an egg and the
egg would later hatch.  Thus no contradiction to previous
sources.

However, if it is clearly demonstrated in the story that
Grandma Duck gave birth to a live duck sans the eggshell,
that would 1) be a bizarre use of a Disney Comic, and 2)
contradict every other Disney Duck reference previously
written and drawn, thus creating a Disney "ret-con" (a
retro-continuity) purporting to invalidate all previously
known sources, even those alluded to by Mr. Barks himself,
making Rosa the new supreme authority in your view.

And, while I, too, enjoy Rosa's work, I certainly do NOT
consider him the end-all of the Disney Ducks universe.
He is one of many who contribute to my enjoyment of Disney
comics.

-Rich Bellacera