Birds or people?

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Fri May 9 09:21:48 CEST 2003

> whether the Ducks in Duckburg are birds or people
> can read through this posting:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=EruoJM.8B9%40iglou.
com>

Somehow, I never got the understanding from any of the
Disney Ducks are to be thought of as "people" and not
just "funny animals."  Donald and Mickey and Goofy are
definitely not in the same evolutionary ladder with
Pluto and Figaro, what are animals.  However, Disney
does have some characters that seem to walk a tight
line between animal and person such as the Big Bad Wolf,
Brer Bear & company, and, depending on how they are
presented, the same goes for Chip'n Dale.  In anycase,
the Ducks, along with the Mouses, the Gearlooses, the
Goofs and the Petes, et al, are all generally considered
"people" in the Disney universes and no one here seems
to be disputing that notion at all.  But being "people"
and being "human" are two entirely different issues.

While the Ducks and indeed "people" they most definitely
are not "humans."  While there have been depictions of
"humans" in the Duck universe (most notably, for me, is
Witch Hazel, Mad Madam Mim and the Red Fly), generally,
the notion of "real" humans in the Duck or Mouse
universes doesn't typically occur.

Rich Bellacera