On subscriptions

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Mon May 19 15:15:30 CEST 2003

Some discussion has ensued here at to why subscriptions cost more that
buying at the newsstand. As this is about subscriptions to Danish
publications, I wouldn't know the particulars, but there is this: a
copy of a comic costs more to mail, even by the most cost-effective
means, than to place on the newsstand.

Comics publishers in the U.S. usually - and I mean usually, not always
- try to keep subscriptions in line, in terms of cost to the consumer,
with retail availability. The higher cost to mail is somewhat offset by
the fact that the copies going out have already been paid for, and
won't be returned (not in any appreciable amount). And there are other
factors, including simply wanting to build a large subscriber base,
always an asset in setting advertising rates - provided the publisher
is interested in either. (Not all U.S. publishers are, and even the
biggies have severely curtailed or outright dropped subscriptions
services at various times.)

It's a complicated thing, subscriptions, probably one of the most
complicated in publishing. I do hope, though, to have some definite
info to post here on Gemstone's setup, which has been faced with a few
extra-ordinary complications.

Gary