SV: Re: SV: Language! Narf! [mostly OT]

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Fri May 23 23:49:44 CEST 2003

Stefan Persson wrote:

> According to the ISO 639-1 and 639-2 standards,
> Serbian and Croatian are two different
> languages.

Yes, because today they are spoken in two separate nations. The difference
is mostly that Croatian is written with Latin letters while Serbian is
written with Cyrillic letters.

AFAIK one of the main reasons behind the Croatia-war in the early 1990's was
that the local Serbs, supported by Milosevic's regime in Serbia, refused the
Croatian president Franjo Tudjman's orders to switch over to the Latin
alphabet in order to make the new Croatia look more homogenous.

>> Bah!!! I once mailed Anders And & Co in
>> order to get a Danish name for one of Don
>> Rosa's stories - I have never got any answer!
>
> And what if you had sent your mail to Donald
> Duck & Co instead...?

Why should I ask them about a Danish topic?

>> That was just a stupid joke in order to get
>> attention.
>
> It did not look like that.

I am very sorry that I am not that good with jokes.

> SI only defines kelvin, not centigrades.

Exactly, that was why I had to add "Celsius system" to the line.

>> * the siphres 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 as
>> written in wester'n style.
>
> You mean the numerals?

Yes.

Sigvald :-)