SV: Re: SV: Swedes and character names in strange languages [mostly OT]

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat May 24 00:01:54 CEST 2003

Stefan Persson wrote:

>> Well then both types of readers should be
>> respected by the publisher.
>
> Then you would end up having to include every
> name for every character in every language,
> which would require WAY too much space in the
> book.

Not true! If that 10 language list had been expanded with 2 (Swedish and
Finnish) or 4 (
Swedish, Finnish, Dutch and Spanish) languages I would have been satisfied.

> "ö" and "ø" may both appear in the same text
> -- for example, in a Swedish text about you,
> "ø" would be used for writing your name, while
> "ö" would be used everywhere else.

Not necesarrily. I have an uncle living in Gothenburg writing our familyname
with and "ö" like this: Grösfjeld. My father have also done so from time to
time as he once worked at Bofors. So if my name is to be mentioned in a
Swedish magazine like "NAFSK-kuriren"  you should feel free to use your own
"ö" if you like.

> Some language versions of MS-DOS do not include
> "æ" and "ø" but only "ä" and "ö".

I guess that's because those characters are included in teh German alphabet
as well. Otherwise it would have looked as an insult by Microsoft against
Norwegians and Danes.

Sigvald :-)