Language! Narf! [mostly OT]

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Sat May 24 00:59:39 CEST 2003

Stefan P:

> > According to the ISO 639-1 and 639-2 standards,
> > Serbian and Croatian are two different
> > languages.

I'm sure this happened after the separation of Croatia from Yugoslavia.
Before that, "Serbo-Croatian" was one of the official languages of that union.

Which I find quite interesting. I read somewhere that the difference
between a dialect and a separate language often is purely political, not
linguistic. This makes a lot of sense to me. Picking a nearby example,
inhabitants of some regions of Sweden speak dialects so thick that other
Swedes sometimes even claim not to understand them. But it is still Swedish
for sure - up to the day when one of those regions breaks away to form a
new, independent country. Which, I might add, doesn't seem very probable in
the near future, even though a small number of more or less serious
extremists do exist.

But if it does happen, that new country will immediately adopt the name of
the former dialect as their official language. They might even, in time,
decide to spell some words differently to further show their independence.
Other than that, there will obviously be no difference at all in the way
the language is used, especially when spoken. Maybe this is a little bit
like how it happened in Croatia and Bosnia-H, for example?

Another off-topic topic recently discussed: My surname is correctly spelled
with an Ö, that is, Diös, with the O with the dots. But that letter usually
didn't go through very well internationally. I don't even know if all
recipients of this list can read it (or if they care). I do know that some
of my E-mail correspondents don't receive it, but some code instead. So I
normally drop the dots whenever writing my name in an international
context, like below:

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden