(OT) RE: Swedes and character names in strange languages

Christina Hellström chellstr at netsonic.fi
Fri May 23 08:24:59 CEST 2003

> From: Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr.
>
> Christina Hellström <chellstr at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm Finnish, although Swedish is my
> > motherthoungue,
>
> And your name look Swedish, just like Nordenskiöld who is mentioned "The
> Crown of The Crusader Kings".

Our names look Swedish because they are Swedish, meaning the language not
the country. Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish, with
Swedish being the minority language of about 6%.  Although one cannot 100%
derrive the motherthoungue from the name, both I and A.E. Nordenskiöld
have/had Swedish as our motherthongue. The most internationally famous
(still alive) Swedish speaking Finn would probably be Linus Torvalds of
Linux fame. :)

> Anyway, the point is the same as Finnish was also excluded in "Jeg Mikke
> Mus". I won't claim there is a line from the 1970's Swedish and Finnish
> redaction to modern DCML'ers from the same countries, but other
> people here may say so now.
????

> And for your information, Christina: the Greek, Japanese and Arab
> names was
> *not* even written with latin letters in "Jeg Mikke Mus".

And why should they have been? Of course, in addition, some pronounciation
guide in latin letters would be nice, but I certainly would rather have the
original lettering than any latin letter version of the same.

Oh, and thanks to Rich Bellacera for the Chinese names and Stefan Petterson
for the Japanese names! I really do appreciate them!

--
//Christina Hellström
  http://www.geocities.com/chellstr/