SV: (OT) RE: Swedes and character names in strange languages

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat May 24 13:33:39 CEST 2003

Christina Hellström <chellstr at netsonic.fi> wrote:

> And your name look Swedish, just like
> Nordenskiöld who is mentioned in "The
> Crown of The Crusader Kings".
>
> Our names look Swedish because they are
> Swedish, meaning the language not the country.

I guess those names are Swedish because some of your ancestors moved to
Finland a long time ago. However AFAIK unlike many other minorities around
the world (Cyprus, etc.) you see yourselves as Finns not as Swedes and is
thus not demanding your own state, etc. Thus there is no etnic conflicts in
Finland as is known from other places in he world. I guess explanations for
that is that you share the same alphabeth, the same religious faith, etc.
and even that both languages are understood by most of the population.

Sigvald :-)