Off-Topic Forum

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Sun May 25 19:31:53 CEST 2003

Rob Klein wrote:

> Hi everyone. I got several positive responses to the idea of an adjunct "OFF-
> TOPIC FORUM". They all feel it should be a Discussion Board, rather than an e-
> mailed message list of subscribers.  For Daniel: I have a suggestion that might
> alleviate your fears of missing out on some Disney discussion. We could have a
> RULE that when the topics move back into Disney Comics, the author MUST move
> the thread BACK TO DCML, by initiating a new posting. Unfortunately, I think
> whoever is the Discussion Board's moderator, will likely not have enough time
> to "monitor" the postings everyday to "enforce" that rule. On many boards,
> rulebreakers are "banned" from the board, and their names under their original
> registration are blocked from making posts. WE wouldn't need that. Any of OUR
> members could be expected on the HONOUR SYSTEM to simply make a new post on
> DCML to cover the new ON-Topic thread started on the OFF-Topic forum.

Well, let's say that you are only a member of the ON-topic list.  You
are discussing something with another member, and suddenly that
discussion moves to the OFF-topic list and you can't follow the rest of
the discussion.  Or let's say that a discussion moves from the OFF-topic
list to the ON-topic list, that could be very confusing if you suddenly
see a part of a discussion without having had a chance to follow
previous parts of it.  In order to avoid such confusion, you would have
to be a member of both lists, but then I don't see any meaning in having
two lists as everyone will get all messages in any case.

Stefan