New DCML

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun May 25 21:06:28 CEST 2003

In addition to my previous email about an on-topic mailing-list
and an off-topic mailing-list, I would like to make a difference
between interesting off-topic emails and annoying off-topic emails.

1. I like off-topic emails that tell me more information about a
subject that initially was a Disney comics subject.

2. I don't like off-topic emails that go on and on with discussing
discussions that initially were Disney comics discussions. ("You
wrote that I wrote that you wrote that I wrote that you wrote it.
I didn't. In fact, I wrote that you wrote that I wrote... etc.)

I think that if the off-topic discussion is an attempt to get rid
of the second category, then there should be other possibilities
than raising a second mailing list. (There are rules for this list,
for example. So, people who don't follow the rules can be reminded
of them.)

I feel that a lot of people are annoyed by the discussions-about-
discussions emails, and that the more interesting off-topic emails
(the first category) are not really much of a concern.

Of course, I might be wrong. I'm very much behind with reading my
email, so my peeking into recent digests may not have given me a
representative view on the matter.

--- Daniël