East bloc/MM Annuals

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon May 26 21:29:58 CEST 2003

East Bloc Disney comics: I traveled in Hungary in 1986 and 1988. I remember
seeing Disney comics there.  I can't remember which year, but suspect it was
the latter, as the publisher was an "Egmont Franchise".  David, can you find
out for us what year the Egmont-related Hungarian publishing started.  If it
was 1988 or before, it was BEFORE the Eastern Bloc final collapse. I did NOT
see any Disney comics in Czechoslovakia during those years.

Regarding Mickey Mouse Annual: I haven't seen any listings on their value. But,
Ican see that they must be British publications (OR Australian?), due to the
spelling of "favourites". The inclusion of the letter "u" proves that the
publication is not from USA. It is not likely to be Canadian, as I don't
remember ever seeing any comics produced only for the canadian market. We DID
get some "different comics", in that comics that contained adverts for USA
market were sent to Canada with the adverts removed and extra one-page gags in
their place. When I moved to USA and picked up better condition copies of many
of my old "Canadian vended comics", I found advertising in place of some of the
gag pages.  Was this "Mickey Mouse Annual" published by the same publisher as a
weekly British Mickey Mouse comic book?

Rob Klein