Comics are for children?

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Wed May 28 19:17:11 CEST 2003

I suppose I should have expected this. I mention a practice of my own which,
if it became widespread, might raise the public's awareness that comic books
can be enjoyed by all ages (i.e., unabashedly acknowledging my own enjoyment
of them in public)...

And Sigvald responds with irrelevancies (the alleged "fact" that ONE comic
book is "only" for children doesn't alter what I've said about comics in
general) and inanities (words like "stupid", "dipshits" and similar epithets
that serve only to alienate and annoy).

FYI, Sigvald, I DO see the Egmont comics every week -- not just in Danish,
but also in my own language. And I find them quite suitable for all ages,
including my own.

What's more, I like what you call the "childish toys" that often come with
them. Several are now on shelves in my office, along with the other duck
toys, figurines, pictures, etc. that brighten my work area. In fact, the
recent little plastic duckbill, where you squeeze the back and a tongue
rolls out, had me and my wife both in stitches.

It's true that my grandson likes the toys too, but I, for one, decline to
scorn things just because they appeal to his age group.

I might add that I've been a fan of Carl Barks, whom you cite as a creator
worthy of an adult's attention, since I was five years old. In fact, ALL of
the cartoonists you cite -- Barks, Rosa, Murry, Gottredson, Rota, Scarpa,
Van Horn etc. -- wrote and drew to be understood and enjoyed by children as
well as by people their own age. It isn't just Egmont, conspiring with the
likes of me (as one of their writers) to make their comics too childish for
you -- ALL successful creators of Disney comics do it.

If you consider this beneath you, I suggest that instead of frothing over it
as you did in the post I'm responding to (which *I* consider childish), you
find more suitable reading matter.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm